Friday, April 15, 2011

Awesome Aussie Foursome

Susan & I have wonderful Australian friends, Bill & Wendy Scholtes.

Susan worked with Bill, before he and Wendy returned to Australia. The last visit they made to the U.S., Bill brought along some of his favorite wines for all of us to enjoy.

We so much enjoyed being together, I only made limited tasting notes. But these wines were so good, I had to post them.

An additional reason is because, for those who know me well, you know my palate generally favors Europe—with much (but not all) of California and Australia being too ripe and too alcoholic. So, either the friendship was so warm with Bill & Wendy (it was!) I didn't notice the alcohol, or these were good examples of the balance that can be achieved even at 14.5%.

Of particular note was the 2006 St. Hugo Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon. The texture was extraordinary and the fresh eucalyptus in the nose was the most distinct I've experienced. These wines reminded me of why I've loved my visits to Australia.  Checking WineSearcher.com, it appears the St. Hugo and the Centenary Hill are available in the U.S. For the two others, you'll have to join us on Qantas soon!

No comments: